Sunday, August 31, 2008

More every day...


   As language students, we are rather aware of our capacity to learn new words...what they mean, how we use them, as well as how to pronounce them correctly.  Unfortunately because we are not kids anymore, learning a language isn't all that easy for Chris and I.

   Aiden on the other hand has ability to pick things up quickly...even in two languages.
Aiden's first word, at 11 mos (outside of momma and daddy, that is) was 'ball'.  He LOVES balls.  He then went through a series of several 'B' words....bear, bath, blanket, book, baby....and now he seems to be bursting with new words every single day!

     I made a list yesterday of all the words that we know that Aiden knows (can say them and understand what the object is)....a total of 37 in English, 6 in Khmer, and 9 in sign language! And this is outside all of the words he will say by copying what we say.  To my amazement I asked him yesterday if he wanted to watch a Baby Einstein video...and he giggle and said "baby ein-nein" and headed for the computer!

     We've also been blown away by the fact that he has learned a few sentences!  The question he most often asks is "Where is da ball" , but you can replace 'ball' with any other word and then he'll say, "There da ball".

     I walked in from class this past Friday and Chris was sitting with our tutor on the floor, trying to study and watch Aiden at the same time (yea right!!!) and Aiden was holding my two toned Bible and he looked at me, held the Bible up and Exclaimed "Momma dis a Bible".  Chris of course laughed and asked me when I taught him to say that - and I was getting ready to ask Chris the very same thing!

     So, Chris is asking when and how we know for sure that this little guy of ours is a genius.....  I'm pretty sure he is!

For you grammies, papas and aunties out there, here's the list of Aiden's English words thus far...
apple, animal
ball, bath, bear, blanket, book, Bible, Bob, baby, bye-bye, bird, balloon, banana (more like manana)
car
daddy, down, diaper (more like biaper)
frog, flower
gaggle, grammy (more like rammy for grandma Ginger), Go!
Hi
keys
momma, mamaw (for grandma Peggy), mou (meow for the cat), more, moon
no no!
papa (for both of them), puppy (any furry four legged creature!)
star, sky
Toot-n-puddle (more like uddle...some of his favorite books...)
"There's da....", "This is ...", 
 up
water

1 comment:

Mendi said...

I am so glad you set this up!!! Aiden has to be a genius - he the son of Chris and Julee Bellar.... if you need some validation - Luke hasn't said a clear word yet.... he has some jingles that we know stand for things but nothing remotely clear. Isaiah does all the talking in our house...